Moinho de Maré de Corroios is a 15th century pluvial mill situated in the civil parish of Corroios, municipality of Seixal.
The mill was ordered constructed in 1403 by D. Nuno Álvares Pereira. By 1980, the mill was acquired by the municipal authority, where it was reconstructed and remodelled, becoming integrated into the Ecomuseu of Seixel, when it opened in 1986.
The building consists of two rectangular annexes, oriented longitudinally, that consist of a mill, warehouse and miller’s residence, transformed into a temporary exposition hall.These bodies are constructed over masonry foundation, into plastered and white-painted facades with exposed masonry corners.
In this 18th century country house, you must see the original glazed tiles, stuccoed ceilings and fresco walls.
Solar dos Zagallos was recovered by Municipality of Almada and transformed in a Culture Centre of local cultures. Located in Sobreda was built on XVIII century by Zagallo family in the time of D. João II (Portuguese King).
Rich lands from Caparica, to receive later D. João VI were built two noble halls that are very different from the rest of the palace.
Open spaces for visitors, lovely stages for classic music, amazing tiles and fresh paitings are the motives to visit it during some hours.
Solar of Zagallos is a dynamic space that intends to preserve the local culture with regular culture activity during all year like exhibitions, concerts , recitals and several activities for young people
The romantic gardens are also worthy of a closer look.
On August 17Th, 1808, and as result of the 1st French invasion in Portugal, The Roliça battle took plase on those hills between the Napolionic Army,led by General Delaborde, and the Anglo-Portuguese troops, led by General Wellesley. Lieutenent-Colonel George Augustus Frederik Lake was surprised be enemy in this valley being under fire from three flanks. As a result of such offensive approach, the commander himself tumbled just a 4 of his officers as well 66 soldiers. Lieutenent-Colonel Lake`s body was buried here.
Thanks to Ferdinand of S.