Initially designed as a small convent for 13 monks, Mafra’s project suffered successive changes, ending in a huge building of approximately 40.00 m2, with all the facilities for 300 Franciscans monks.
The King ensured the support of the convent by paying all the expenses from his own “pocket”. Monks were given fees twice a year, at Christmas and at St. John’s day. The fees consisted of tobacco, paper, linen and burel cloth for the habits. Each brother received two habits that he had to wash and mend himself. 120 wine barrels, 70 olive oil barrels or 600 cows, for instance, were spent each year in the Convent.
Built in limestone from the region – Sintra, Pêro Pinheiro and Mafra – the Basilica has the form of a Latin cross and is 58.5 m long and 43 m wide. The dome is 65m high, with a 13m diameter. It was the first dome ever built in Portugal.
In the main chapel a painting by Francesco Trevisani represents the Virgin, Jesus and St. Anthony, to whom the church is dedicated. The marble retables of the side chapels, Holy Family (south) and Blessed Sacrament (north) and the six collateral chapels are attributed to Alessandro Giusti from the Mafra school of sculpture, and his disciples.
Nearby was the fence garden, with an orchard, several water tanks and four ballgame fields for the monks’ recreation, one for the ring game and two to play a traditional game called “laranjinha”. In the early 19th century, during the Peninsular War, the convent was occupied by French troops and later by British allied troops. With the extinction of religious orders in Portugal, on 30th May 1834, the convent was and has been, until the present day, successively occupied by several military regiments. Since 1890 it is occupied by the army and is today the headquaters of the School of the Arms.
Falconry at Palace Saturdays and Sundays at 11 a.m. and 15 p.m.
Source: Palácio de Mafra
Moinho de Maré de Corroios is a 15th century pluvial mill situated in the civil parish of Corroios, municipality of Seixal.
The mill was ordered constructed in 1403 by D. Nuno Álvares Pereira. By 1980, the mill was acquired by the municipal authority, where it was reconstructed and remodelled, becoming integrated into the Ecomuseu of Seixel, when it opened in 1986.
The building consists of two rectangular annexes, oriented longitudinally, that consist of a mill, warehouse and miller’s residence, transformed into a temporary exposition hall.These bodies are constructed over masonry foundation, into plastered and white-painted facades with exposed masonry corners.
In this 18th century country house, you must see the original glazed tiles, stuccoed ceilings and fresco walls.
Solar dos Zagallos was recovered by Municipality of Almada and transformed in a Culture Centre of local cultures. Located in Sobreda was built on XVIII century by Zagallo family in the time of D. João II (Portuguese King).
Rich lands from Caparica, to receive later D. João VI were built two noble halls that are very different from the rest of the palace.
Open spaces for visitors, lovely stages for classic music, amazing tiles and fresh paitings are the motives to visit it during some hours.
Solar of Zagallos is a dynamic space that intends to preserve the local culture with regular culture activity during all year like exhibitions, concerts , recitals and several activities for young people
The romantic gardens are also worthy of a closer look.
On August 17Th, 1808, and as result of the 1st French invasion in Portugal, The Roliça battle took plase on those hills between the Napolionic Army,led by General Delaborde, and the Anglo-Portuguese troops, led by General Wellesley. Lieutenent-Colonel George Augustus Frederik Lake was surprised be enemy in this valley being under fire from three flanks. As a result of such offensive approach, the commander himself tumbled just a 4 of his officers as well 66 soldiers. Lieutenent-Colonel Lake`s body was buried here.
Thanks to Ferdinand of S.